Xfire is een programma dat speciaal voor gamers wordt geschreven om met elkaar te communiceren. Zo kan er niet alleen worden gechat met mensen op de contactlijst, maar is er ook te zien waar ze op dit moment aan het spelen zijn en kan men zichzelf vervolgens aan dit spel toevoegen. Op dit moment worden volgens deze pagina meer dan 500 spellen ondersteund, waarvan er aan 150 spellen vanuit het programma via de "one-click join" meteen kan worden meegedaan. De ontwikkelaars van Xfire hebben versie 1.53 uitgebracht met de volgende veranderingen:
There were major changes underneath the hood to reduce the number of bugs and crashes in the future. We were able to get these changes done and tested quickly, so this release is out a few days early.
- Clicking on the advertisement will now open the ad in your default browser (it used to always use Internet Explorer).
- Fixed the error message displayed when opening a chat window between two people with incompatible NAT devices for our P2P system.
- Added a button in the Battlefield 2 infoview to display the rank of each person on the server.
- Revamped the Files pages on the web site to have the same look as the front page and profile page.
- Fixed a few focus issues with the Tools | Manage Screenshots dialog.
- Fixed several UI problems with Chat Windows' Actions | Invite More People dialog.
- Improved the NAT type information at the bottom of the Files Tab Help infoview.
- New games supported: Rainbow Six Lockdown, Marc Ecko's Getting Up - Contents Under Pressure, GT Legends, Trackmania Nations, C&C Red Alert, Command & Conquer, all of the games from C&C: The First Decade, SpaceCowboy, Battle for Middle-earth II, Toca Race Driver 3, and RF Online.
Also, for skinners and modders--each release will now have Technical Notes describing changes that may affect you.
- Significant improvements to direct file transfers. The infoview shows uploads and downloads separately, completed downloads have a link to open them, and resuming an aborted transfer now works seamlessly.
- Voice call enhancements: added different send and receive ringing sounds, added connect and disconnect sounds, and removed the dialog to accept a call.
- Changed custom friend groups to save them in the database. If you use Xfire from multiple computers you should see your friend groups in the same order from every computer.
- Organized and cleaned up the chat window Actions menu and the friends tab context menu.
- Updated the games page to show games with lobby support in group chats.
- Added logging for group chats if you have enabled chat logging in Tools | Options | Chat.
- Significant improvements to game lobbies in group chat. Age of Empires 2 and Jedi Knight launching should now work well.
- Better feedback on the servers tab when you select a game with no servers.
- Much more reliable and accurate error messages when you attempt to send a file to or voice chat with a friend and you have incompatible firewalls.
- Fixed a bug which set the focus to Xfire for xfire:status URLs (used in music player plugins).
- Fixed a bug that could display a balloon tooltip for a friend logging off even if you had not seen the friend logon.
- Fixed a few misspellings and rare crashes.
- New games supported: FSW Ten Hammers, MX vs ATV Unleashed, Devastation, Heroes of Might and Magic IV, and more Windows games.