I2P richt zich op het anonimiseren van communicatiestromen. Het project begon in 2003 als een voorstel om freenet aan te passen en is in de loop van de tijd ontwikkeld tot een op zichzelf staand programma. Voor meer informatie verwijzen we jullie door naar deze pagina. De ontwikkelaars hebben versie 0.7.8 de deur uitgedaan, voorzien van de volgende aankondigingen sinds de laatste vermelding in de Meuktracker:
0.7.8, contains initial support for router console translations, and changes to the floodfill system which lay the foundation for supporting large growth in the network.
To prevent easy blocking of I2P by malicious firewalls, the release randomizes the I2P port for new installs. For existing installs, please help those who are vulnerable to blocking by changing UDP from 8887 to a random port on and adjusting your firewall if necessary.
The release also contains more changes to reduce memory and CPU usage, and a large assortment of bug fixes. Upgrading is recommended. We especially encourage those of you still running release 0.7.6 or earlier to upgrade as soon as possible. Please give the developers feedback on IRC #i2p or forum.i2p and get involved or donate! We are also looking for help on new and existing translations. Please volunteer on IRC #i2p.
Router Console Translation Support
- Partially reintroduce Kademlia to the network database, by having each floodfill store only a portion of the keyspace. Routers will query and store to a floodfill that is closest to the key in question. Floodfills will only flood to peers closest to the key.
- The limit on number of floodfills will not be raised in this release. Therefore, there will be no immediate change; all floodfills will store the entire keyspace. In future releases, the limit will be raised until most class O routers will be floodfill. After that, each floodfill be be responsible for about 300 netdb entries, independent of network size, thus allowing i2p to scale to many thousands of routers.
- The release also fixes a bad bug that was preventing verification of RouterInfo stores.
- The router console now supports translation to other languages using standard "po" files. Initial string tagging by "walking".
- The HTTP proxy now supports translated error pages.
- Chinese translation (by "walking") is included.
- French translation (by "neutron") is included.
- German translation (by "echelon") is included.
- Translation of bundled applications (i2psnark, i2ptunnel, susimail, susidns) is not yet supported, it will be included in a future release.
- We are searching for additional translation volunteers.
- Improve the handling of immediate ack requests, hopefully this will help network speed.
- Additions to store statistics on netdb performance, to assist floodfill peer selection
- Reduction in storage for non-floodfill peers, to save about 2MB RAM
- To prevent easy blocking by malicious firewalls (matching source or destination port 8887), new I2P installs will now use a random port between 9000 and 32000. Users who have previously installed i2p are encouraged to change their port to make blocking more difficult.
- Raise piece size limit from 1MB to 2MB
- Continued cleanup of the code to reduce package size and memory usage
- Continued console cleanup
I2P version 0.7.7 contains several anonymity improvements. The use of session keys for crypto was completely reworked, and I2PSnark now uses its own tunnels for tracker communication. Work continues on improving the router console, including conformance to HTML standards and better support of UTF-8.
Work also continues on increasing speeds, both by reducing the number of session keys transferred, by improving the methods of dropping messages during overload, and by reducing drops by high-bandwidth routers. There is a new unsigned update option for those of you that would like automatic updates to bleeding-edge development versions.
The release also contains several changes to reduce memory and CPU usage, and a large assortment of bug fixes. Upgrading is recommended. Please give the developers feedback on IRC #i2p or forum.i2p2.de and get involved!
- Redesign bloom filters, saves 6-8MB heap.
- Reduce PRNG buffers for I2PAppContext, saves 3.5MB heap.
- Remove more unused classes and code, more Java 5 cleanups
- Reduce connection limits slightly.
- Improve the random early discarder, to be smarter - will hopefully improve tunnel speeds
- Increase the size of the Bloom filter for high bandwidth routers (>= 512KBps share) to reduce packet discards
- Use multiple Session Key Managers for anonymity benefits
- Reduce the number of Session Tags sent out at once, for efficiency - should reduce stalls on long-lived connections
- Lots of HTML cleanups and fixes
- UTF-8 fixes
- New error page
- New unsigned update option
- Verify zip file integrity at startup
- Use snark's tunnels rather than the HTTP Proxy for announces and torrent fetches, for efficiency and anonymity.