Lottanzb is een opensourceprogramma voor Linux dat gebruikt kan worden om binary-bestanden van nieuwsgroepen te downloaden. Het programma biedt de mogelijkheid om nzb-bestanden te laden en bestanden van meerdere usenetservers binnen te halen. Verder kan Lottanzb bandbreedte per download toewijzen en is er ondersteuning voor ssl aanwezig. De nieuwste versie van Lottanzb heeft rugnummer 0.4 meegekregen en kan via deze pagina voor Ubuntu, Gentoo, Mandriva, Fedora en Archlinux gedownload worden. De release notes van versie 0.4 zien er als volgt uit:
- Use LottaNZB as a front-end for HellaNZB or as a stand-alone NZB Usenet client
- Enqueue NZB files directly from within your file manager and web browser
- Newzbin.com support
- Support for multiple Usenet servers
- Support for secure (SSL) connections
- Arrange the download queue and add NZB files using drag 'n drop
- Bandwidth throttling support
- Easily configure both HellaNZB and LottaNZB without having to manually edit configuration files
- Supported languages: English, Dutch, Danish, French, German, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian Bokmal, Polish and Portuguese
- Detailed documentation
- This is the first version of LottaNZB which is based on the Kiwi framework (http://www.async.com.br/projects/kiwi/). Kiwi simplifies the development of graphical applications by providing an extensive set of high-level tools, which now replace our self-baked ones. Kiwi enabled us to significantly reduce the amount of code required to do certain things and paves the way for a faster implementation of new features, since we can concentrate on the things that matter.
- Beside the graphical parts of the application, also the other parts have undergone a major rewrite. This did not only improve the reliability and maintainability of the code but also fixed a bunch of bugs.
- The categorization feature has been improved notably. Users that don't want to categorize their downloads are allowed to disable the feature completely in the preferences dialog. The others are rewarded with the possibility of creating a custom set of categories and - even more exciting - with a function that automatically moves a completed download to a directory named like its category.
- The algorithm collecting HellaNZB's log messages has become way more intelligent (LP: #245670).
- Thanks to this, we laid the groundwork for a mechanism that analyzes all incoming HellaNZB log messages and extracts the interesting information. HellaNZB's current interface for external application doesn't provide us with much information. In future version of LottaNZB, you can expect more information to be displayed about the state of your downloads and LottaNZB will also know more about potential problems.
- The way how LottaNZB manages its configuration has completely changed. Instead of an XML file an INI-style configuration file format is used. Internally, LottaNZB uses a decentralised configuration system with support for nested configuration sections, which makes LottaNZB more modular end extensible. There are plans for a plugin system which will make use of it. Any existing, old-fashioned XML configuration file is automatically converted to the new format.
- Scrolling should now be possible in both the download list and the message log window and the lists won't flicker anymore when updated.
- Reordering the download queue using drag & drop has been made more predictable and hence sleeker to use. Dropping a download won't unselect it anymore.
- LottaNZB won't crash anymore if the Usenet server configuration contains an optional property such as 'fillserver', 'enabled', 'skipGroupCmd' and 'bindTo'. (LP: #251798, #280302)
- Support for non-ASCII characters in HellaNZB configuration files, which makes it possible to choose a download directory with a name like "Vidéos". (LP: #305248)
- It's possible to enable or disable the automatic extraction of completed downloads.
- Users are informed when something goes wrong downloading an NZB file from Newzbin.
- LottaNZB 0.4 speaks several new languages. Thanks to the work of numerous people, translations to Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian Bokmal, Polish and Portuguese have been added. Upgrading to a new LottaNZB version has become much easier for those who use the source package. The 'install' command will look for existing installations and prevent annoying version conflicts.
- This list is far from complete. There are numerous other minor and major improvements not mentioned here. Give LottaNZB 0.4 a try and see yourself!