Meer game nieuws, want id Software heeft een nieuwe zogenaamde point release uitgebracht voor het spel Quake 4. De update heeft nummer 1.3 meegekregen en is beschikbaar voor Windows als Linux in een volledige installatie als een update vanaf point release 1.2. De diverse downloads kunnen halverwege deze pagina worden gevonden, voor torrent files kun je hier terecht. Point Release 1.3 voegt onder andere een nieuw speltype toe met de naam 'DeadZone', waarin twee teams moeten strijden over de controle van zogenaamde 'artifacts'. Daarnaast is er een nieuw wapen toegevoegd, acht nieuwe levels en kunnen er nu wapens en voorwerpen worden gekocht voordat men begint te spelen. Het volledige changelog ziet er als volgt uit:
New Multiplayer Game Mode - DeadZone
DeadZone is a brand new team-based multiplayer gametype. Players fight over a limited number of DeadZone artifacts, then race to maintain control of a central scoring zone designated by a scrolling white border. Teams can accumulate points when one or more player from their team is in the DeadZone carrying an artifact. If each team has one or more players in the DeadZone with an artifact at the same time, neither team will gain any points during this stalemate situation. When an artifact is depleted, it returns to its initial spawn location and is available for pick-up. If a player is killed while carrying an artifact, it drops in that location and is again available. The first team to reach the scoring limit wins.
New Multiplayer Weapon - Napalm Gun
Propels an incendiary plasma projectile that explodes and spreads on impact. The dispersed plasma causes damage to any that touch it and continues to burn for a short time.
New Multiplayer Maps
- Cavernous Cryonics (q4xctf6)
These ice caverns were once home to the Makron, and facilitated the preservation of barely living humans awaiting Stroggification. Now it is a fast-paced proving ground that allows for skilled players to take advantage of the many paths to either team's base. Cavernous Cryonics is designed for small to medium CTF, Arena CTF, and DeadZone matches.
- Central Industrial (q4xdm10)
This tall and narrow structure has a central elliptical chamber that runs the height of the building. Those who dare can take up sniping positions along the chamber - but remember, if you can see one opponent, all your opponents can probably see you. DeadZone adds a small platform to the center of the map as its scoring area, but the map can also be played in DM or TDM.
- Warforged (q4xdm11)
Built into a Stroggos crater wall, this open three-level structure requires quick reflexes and constant movement. Use the jump pads and teleporters to gain an advantage, and try to avoid falling into a predictable path. Warforged is ideal for larger DM, TDM, and DeadZone battles.
- Stroyent Red (q4xdm13)
This abandoned outpost is surrounded by the empty void of space. Be prepared for harrowing chases, and watch your step as the narrow paths and exposed jump pads can lead to certain death. Stroyent Red is best for DM, TDM, and DeadZone matches.
- Retrophobopolis (q4xdm14)
This QUAKE(r) classic has been updated and rebuilt for Quake 4 multiplayer, but it maintains its claustrophobic corridors and trap filled rooms. There are moving floors, lava pits, and hidden portals all around - if you're not careful, you'll be the next victim. Retrophobopolis is suitable for Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and DeadZone gameplay.
- Firewall (q4xdm15)
Red sand and rust set the tone within this former Strogg vehicle construction facility. A multi-level structure, you'll have to look high and low for your enemies - there are tons of ways to get around and plenty of places to hide. DeadZone focuses your efforts on the central platform, but DM and TDM will have you moving through the many paths to stay alive.
- Stroggenomenon (q4xtourney1)
A small, tourney focused level, Stroggenomenon funnels you through a series of hallways and passages that will keep you guessing where your opponent is. Steer clear of the dead end if you're being followed, and utilize the jump pad for a quicker path through the arena. This map is ideal for Tourney, DM and TDM matches.
- Verticon (q4xtourney2)
Verticon will have you seeking higher ground. The Railgun and armor positions force players to sharpen their vertical combat skills, as these key items leave you exposed and without much room to dodge enemy fire. Verticon is designed for DM and TDM matches but is particularly suited for fast-paced Tourney matches.
The Quake 4 "Buy Mode" is a server option that can be enabled with any gametype and any arena. The key features of the Buy Mode are:
Fixes & Updates in 1.3:
- Instead of picking up weapons, ammo or armor placed in the map, all items will need to be purchased with credits.
- You can always earn credits by fragging your opponents. You can also earn credits by supporting your team in CTF and DeadZone matches. Capture flags, defend you flag, or help control the DeadZone and watch your credits increase.
- Supported by the following gametypes: DM, TDM, CTF, Arena CTF and Deadzone.
- The server must enable the "Allow Buying" option in the Advanced Server Options menu.
- The Buy Menu is automatically bound to the B key, but if that key is already in use, you will need to bind a key to the Buy Menu in the Controls - Weapons Configuration menu.
- You can purchase:
- Any weapon in the game... if you have enough credits.
- You can also buy Team effects such as Health Regeneration, Damage Boost, and Ammo Regeneration. Buying any of these powerups will provide you and your teammates with the effect for a limited time.
- Ammo Refill - this item refills all weapons in your inventory at the time of purchase.
- Light Armor - Yellow armor
- Heavy Armor - Red armor
- Added a single ambient light option. Use r_forceAmbient with a value ranging from 0 to 1.
- Multiplayer weapon damage and movement values have been adjusted.
- The player will now respawn based on his/her last combatant's location.
- Shotgun hit sounds will no longer drop.
- The game no longer has to be relaunched to access more than 4 netdemos.
- The wrong icon will no longer appear for certain clients after a team shuffle.
- Spawn auto-complete in the RCON window will no longer crash.
- Voting for Team DM and certain maps will no longer load the wrong map.
- The Apply Changes button in the Options menu has been removed.
- A crash will no longer occur in Tourney if a finalist disconnects.
- A player's name will no longer change to that of the player in the demo if a NetDemo is played.
- Time Limit Hit will no longer be displayed in the wrong circumstances.