Sublime Text is een uitgebreide teksteditor die vooral programmeurs zal aanspreken. Onder de lange lijst mogelijkheden treffen we onder andere een minimap aan, kunnen verschillende secties in een tekst geselecteerd worden, die dan tegelijk bewerkt kunnen worden, is er syntax-highlighting met ondersteuning voor meer dan veertig talen, en kan er van macro's en op Python gebaseerde plug-ins gebruik worden gemaakt. Sublime Text is beschikbaar voor Windows, Linux en OS X. Een licentie kost 70 dollar en is per gebruiker, niet per machine. Op dit moment is versie 3.0 in ontwikkeling en zijn we inmiddels al bij build 3010 aanbeland. De release notes voor Sublime Text 3.0 zien er als volgt uit:
Sublime Text 3 Beta
The first beta of Sublime Text 3 is now available to download for registered users. Some feature highlights are below, followed by our new pricing and upgrade policies, and system compatibility for Sublime Text 3.
Sublime Text now scans the files in your project, and builds an index of which files contain which symbols. This backs the new features Goto Definition and Goto Symbol in Project, both of which are available from the Goto menu. Goto Definition takes you to the definition of the symbol under the caret, while Goto Symbol in Project prompts you to select a symbol via fuzzy matching, and then takes you to the definition of that symbol.
Working with multiple panes is now more efficient, with commands to create and destroy panes, and quickly move files between panes. You can see the new options under View/Groups, View/Focus Group and View/Move file to Group.
Sublime Text has always had speed as a feature, but version 3 addresses some weak points. Startup time is now virtually immediate, and plugins no longer have the opportunity to bring this down. Replace All performance is also significantly faster.
Sublime Text now uses Python 3.3 for plugins, and runs them out of process, so any plugins that load native code no longer risk crashing the main Sublime Text process. The API is also fully thread-safe, and provides several callbacks that run asynchronously (e.g., on_modified_async). There are also new API functions, including full access to the project data. Sublime Text 2 plugins will require porting to work with Sublime Text 3, however in most cases the changes will be small.
- Added Goto Definition, and Goto Symbol in Project
- Significantly improved startup time
- Significantly improved Replace All performance
- Improved matching algorithm used for Goto Anything and auto-complete accepts transposed characters
- UI: Enhanced pane management
- UI: Previewing files from the sidebar creates a preview tab
- UI: Improved animation in the side bar
- Projects: Multiple workspaces can be created for a single project
- Projects: When adding folders to the sidebar, symlinks are not followed by default. This can be changed by enabling follow_symlinks in the project
- Build Systems: Added ’shell_cmd’, which supersedes ‘cmd’, with more intuitive syntax
- Build Systems: Better PATH handling behavior on OS X when using shell_cmd
- Build Systems: ‘Make’ build system has an improved error message regex
- Build Systems: Syntax file can be specified for the output
- Build Systems: Word wrap is enabled by default
- Find in Files: Improved handling of binary files
- Find in Files: Line numbers are hidden in the output
- Find: Find in Selection will no longer be automatically selected
- OSX: Improved performance on Retina displays
- OSX: 10.7 or later is required
- OSX: 64 bit only
- OSX: System version of Python is no longer a dependency
- OSX: Italic fonts are synthesized when not available in the typeface
- Linux: .deb files are provided
- Linux: Starting from the command line will daemonize the process by default
- API: Upgrade from Python 2.6 to Python 3.3
- API: Plugins run out-of-process
- API: Plugin API is now thread-safe
- API: Some API events are now run asynchronously
- API: begin_edit() / end_edit() are no longer accessible
- API: Projects are exposed to the API
- API: Added window.settings() and window.template_settings()
- API: show_quick_panel() accepts an on_highlighted callback