PGP Desktop stelt je instaat om data te beveiligen met een sterke encryptie. Het kan automatisch email versleutelen en decoderen doordat het zichzelf integreert met bekende emailprogramma's zoals Outlook, Windows Mail, Eudora, Thunderbird en Lotus Notes op het Windows-platform en Apple Mail, Entourage en Eudora op het Mac OS X-platform. Verder kan het bestanden versleutelen via PGP Virtual Disk en PGP Zip, waarbij de laatste compressie toepast. Daarnaast kan ook nog eens de communicatie die verloopt via AIM tussen twee gebruikers van PGP Desktop worden versleuteld. De ontwikkelaars van PGP Corporation hebben een eerste public beta uitgebracht van PGP Desktop 9.6.0 voor zowel Windows als het Mac OS X. De meegeleverde aankondiging ziet er als volgt uit:.
What's New in PGP Desktop for Windows Version 9.6
Building on PGP’s proven technology, PGP Desktop 9.6 for Windows includes numerous improvements and the following new and resolved features:
- New feature: PGP Desktop now supports the Windows Vista operating system (all editions).
- New feature: PGP Desktop now supports Microsoft Outlook 2007.
- New feature: PGP Desktop now supports Microsoft Exchange 2007.
PGP Whole Disk Encryption
- Resolved issue: In situations where the "My DocumentsPGP" folder is deleted, PGP Desktop now properly recreates the folder and creates new keyring files. 
- New feature: PGP Whole Disk Encryption now supports both Spanish language and French language keyboards.
- Changed functionality: Interaction with large protected folders has been improved.
PGP Virtual Disk
- Resolved issue: The PGP Zip filename was not included in the save location, which in some situations could lead to unintentional overwriting of previous PGP Zip files. 
- Changed functionality: Improvements have been made to the compaction of very large PGP Virtual Disks.
Lotus Notes Support
- Resolved issue: Embedded attachments in forwarded MAPI messages displayed as invalid attachments if Outlook was configured to only download headers. 
- Resolved issue: Users were unable to automatically import keys sent from users without PGP Desktop, as the .asc extension was removed from the public key file attachment. 
- Changed functionality: Extensive updates have been made to support multiple domain-qualification on email addresses against the Notes/Domino platform. Resolution includes handling of cases of domained addresses appearing in Notes/Domino groups, and of similar appearing in recipient's forwarding address (person document). Also includes the routing of an SMTP-addressed recipient through Notes Mail (e.g. email@example.com @ TECH). 
- Resolved issue: Lotus Notes emails sent in RTF format without body text did not include the annotations "Signed" and "Decrypted" and the message was decrypted inconsistently. 
- Resolved issue: Lotus Notes email messages were not proxied if the Lotus Notes email client was installed after PGP Desktop. 
- Resolved issue: Lotus Notes quit unexpectedly if an email message was addressed without the Organization Name (for example, addressing a message to John Doe@DomainName rather than John Doe/OrganizationName@DomainName). 
- Resolved issue: PGP Desktop was unable to decrypt emails that are stored in a Lotus Domino archive database. 
- Resolved issue: The PGP Global Directory Assistant displayed when manually uploading keys to the PGP Universal Server. 
- Resolved issue: The PGP Keys control box disappeared when the My Documents folder was moved to an unavailable remote location. In this situation, if your keyring was on a remote network share that is not accessible during logon, then PGP Desktop did not display the PGP Key control box. A dialog box now appears asking if you want to Try Again or Create New Default Public/Private Keyring File. 
What's New in PGP Desktop for Mac OS X Version 9.6
Building on PGP Corporation’s proven technology, PGP Desktop 9.6 for Mac OS X includes numerous improvements and the following new features:
New feature: PGP Key reconstruction is now supported in PGP Desktop for Mac OS X.PGP Mac OS X Plugin Technology
Changed functionality: PGP Desktop automatically detects your email accounts and secures your mail without manual intervention, and no longer requires the Mail plug-in technology used by earlier versions of PGP Desktop. If the PGP Desktop 9.6 installer detects the Mail plug-in on your system from a previous installation, the plug-in is deleted during installation. If you would like to continue to use the plug-in, you can find it in the Extras folder in the PGP Desktop disk image, however its use is now unsupported.
|11:48||Apple Final Cut Pro 5.1.4|