MySQL is een krachtige opensource-databaseserver die vooral populair is als website- en forumdatabase. Ook Tweakers.net maakt gebruik van MySQL om onder andere gebruikersgegevens, statistieken en diverse review-, meuk- en nieuwsartikelen in op te slaan. De ontwikkelaars hebben een nieuwe versie uit de 5.5-tak uitgebracht. Het gaat om versie 5.5.8, die door de ontwikkelaars General Availability is genoemd en daarmee ook stabiel is verklaard. Voor meer informatie over de verbeteringen in de 5.5-release verwijzen we door naar deze pagina. Oracle heeft de volgende aankondiging meegegeven:
MySQL 5.5 Now Generally Available
New Performance and Scalability Enhancements Highlight Oracle’s Continued Investment in MySQL
Enhances Capabilities for Web Applications
- Underscoring its commitment to deliver new innovations to MySQL users, Oracle today announced the general availability of MySQL 5.5.
- MySQL 5.5 delivers significant enhancements enabling users to improve the performance and scalability of web applications across multiple operating environments, including Windows, Linux, Oracle Solaris, and Mac OS X.
- The MySQL 5.5 Community Edition, which is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL), and is available for free download, includes InnoDB as the default storage engine.
- This release benefitted from substantial user community participation and feedback on the MySQL 5.5 Release Candidate, helping to provide a more broadly tested product.
MySQL 5.5 Delivers Major Performance Gains
- The 5.5 release of MySQL provides the customization capabilities and scalability that MySQL DBAs and developers need to more efficiently build, maintain and scale web applications.
- With the MySQL 5.5 release users benefit from:
- Improved performance and scalability: MySQL Database and InnoDB storage engine have been enhanced to provide optimum performance and scalability when running on the latest multi-CPU and multi-core hardware and operating systems. In addition, with release 5.5, InnoDB is now the default storage engine for the MySQL Database, delivering ACID transactions, referential integrity and crash recovery.
- Higher availability: New semi-synchronous replication and Replication Heart Beat improve failover speed and reliability.
- Improved usability: Improved index and table partitioning, SIGNAL/RESIGNAL support and enhanced diagnostics, including a new PERFORMANCE_SCHEMA, improve the manageability of MySQL 5.5.
- In recent benchmarks, the MySQL 5.5 release candidate delivered significant performance improvements compared to MySQL 5.1. Results included:
- On Windows: Up to 1,500 percent performance gains for Read/Write operations and up to 500 percent gain for Read Only.(1)
- On Linux: Up to 360 percent performance gain in Read/Write operations and up to 200 percent improvement in Read Only.(2)
- "The latest release of MySQL further exemplifies Oracle’s commitment to the MySQL community and investment in delivering rapid innovation and enhancements to the MySQL platform. With MySQL 5.5, end users and ISVs have a high performance, reliable, scalable and cost-effective alternative to Microsoft SQL Server for building and deploying their business critical web and embedded applications,” said Edward Screven, Oracle’s Chief Corporate Architect.
- "Oracle did a great job with MySQL 5.5 – in record time! It has many of the new features and performance improvements that our customers need and want. We're very excited about this release," said Sheeri K. Cabral, Oracle Ace Director and Database Operations Manager at PalominoDB, a global database services provider.
- "We have been using MySQL since 2003 to power our Subscriber Data Management solution. MySQL replication is a key component of our multi-layer scalability and high-availability framework. The semi-synchronous replication capabilities built into MySQL 5.5 will enable us to further enhance data integrity for our customers, helping deliver a complete view of subscribers across any network domain for new levels of insight, agility and operational efficiency," said Richard Bodin, Senior Manager, SDM Product Line, Tekelec.